Friday, February 22, 2008

Day 49

BLOG OVER.

I got the call this morning at 10AM. You're late, said the boss. I'm on my way! Don't bother. We'll mail you your check.

Last week I was running really late because I felt sick, and he gave me the same call. I rolled in at noon and convinced him to keep me on the job some more. I'm not going to beg for this job anymore.
The pretense is my tardiness, but I can guarantee that my young coworkers are not there either.
His company is a bit stressed financially, and cutting me from the budget makes a easy stress reliever. I'm an easy target being the new designer #2. I guess I could've expected a strange ending to this job considering its weird beginning. I was hired sight unseen, no interview, and regrettably no contract.
I yelled expletives when I hung up the phone. But I think this is going to be a change for the better. I've learned a lot that doesn't have anything to do with design in the past 50 days. I never really thought of myself as an asset to be invested in. I've never met such a senseless but ruthless businessman as my boss. To clarify, I'm not whining that my termination was senseless, his other decisions informed me of that opinion.
Now I can devote 100% of my time to finding a new and hopefully very different job. The wages I've earned so far can sustain me poorly for about six months. If I can't find a job by then, I don't deserve to be living here.

No comments: